- Australia is known for being an expensive country. So it is important for you to leave your country with enough savings. You will find below average prices of products applied in Woolworth in may 2016. Those prices will depend of the city you are, the shops you go and your ability to find tips.Good to keep in mind : Each week, there are discounts on several products in supermarkets. It is not about 10 cts discount « Special » prices that are attractive.Fruits & vegetables :
- Pepper (AUS : Capsicum): They are expensive, almost $3 each but they can be even more expensive depending of the season.
- Brocolis : Around $1,50 to $2 each.
- Tomatoes : $3 to $5 per kilo during the season. During winter, it is more around $12 per kilo
- Potatoes : $3 to $5 per kilo (regarding the season).
- 1 kilo of orange : around $2,5 and $4.
- One lettuce : $2 to $3.
- One kilo of carrots : $1,50 to $3.
- One kilo of bananas : $3.
• One kilo of lemons : $4 to $5
- It is important that you pay for an insurance before your trip to cover your medical expenses in the unlikely event something bad occurs during your internship. Each insurance company provides different services, so choose wisely according to your needs. Here are some examples of insurance companies :
– Chapka Direct (France): http://www.careerdc.com.au/insurance– HanseMerkur (Germany) : http://www.hansemerkur.de/service/kontakt/anfrage– iSelect (Australia) : http://www.iselect.com.au/overseas-visitors-cover.jsp?onsite=health_fr_health
Flying from Europe to Australia takes a long time, so make sure that you choose a good flight company. Since there are numerous companies, the easiest way to plan your trip is to go to a website like eDreams (http://www.edreams.net) so you can quickly see which flight is best for you. Otherwise, you can directly visit each flight company website but it takes a lot more time.
Etihad Airways (http://www.etihad.com), Cathay Pacific (www.cathaypacific.com) or Emirates (www.emirates.com) usually offer good services but there are many others to choose from.
Be careful on what you bring onboard. For example, you will have to declare and pay taxes if you bring more than 50 cigarettes with you. So be careful when shopping in Duty Free! You can find more information about these restrictions here: http://www.customs.gov.au/knowbeforeyougo/default.asp (also available in different languages).
In your welcome email, CareerDC already sent you information and links to apply for accommodation providers. However the following is additional information, if you wish to search for accommodation on your own:
When you arrive in Australia, you can book short-term accommodation via the website https://www.airbnb.com.au.
Another option is to book at Backpacker Hostels because they are often cheap and you will be able to meet people from different nationalities. You can have a look at their locations and book your room here: http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/australia/.
You can also book a hotel, however this is much more expensive. You can select your hotel and make a reservation via Booking (http://www.booking.com).
After a couple of days, you may want to have your own place. Apartments are really expensive in Australia so you will most probably have to share your apartment or even your room with other people. The easiest and the fastest way to look for accommodation is to search on Gumtree (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-real-estate/c9296). You may find the flat of your dreams in a couple of days or hours if you are really lucky!
Regarding mobile phones, the cheapest solution is to buy an Australian SIM card so you can have an Australian phone number which will considerably decrease your telephone bills. Make sure that your mobile is unlocked beforehand, if that is not the case, you can also buy a new one in Australia. The operator that offers the best value for your money is definitely Optus. The most interesting offer is the Optus prepaid social plan, which gives you unlimited text messages in Australia, connection to social media and much more! You can check the details here: http://www.optus.com.au/shop/prepaid/sim-card/plans/prepaid-social